Join us in Dimond Library Room 235 for a community updating of Wikipedia entries. Timed during the week of Indigenous People's Day, the edit a-thon will focus on indigenous women and the goals for the day are to:
- encourage new editors and show them how they can contribute to Wikipedia by creating or updating biographies of some of the world's most prominent women
- support Wikipedia in combating the systemic bias against the coverage of women and women's works
We will provide some suggested entries needing creating or editing. You can come with your own ideas as well.
No experience is needed. We will offer training, reference materials, and brain snacks. Just bring your laptop or tablet.
Come for as long or as little as you're able throughout the day.
- 9:00 am - Welcome and Introduction from Assistant Professor of Italian, Anna Wainwright, about representation, women, intersectionality, and the history of Wikipedia edit-a-thons
- 9:30 - 11:00 am - Editing session with support from librarians, faculty, and staff
- 11:00 am - Professor of English, Siobhan Senier, who will talk about indigenous women
- 11:15 am - 12:45 pm - Editing session with support from librarians, faculty, and staff
- 12:45 pm - 1:00 pm - Recap of session and discussion of future events
The Wikipedia edit-a-thon is organized by the UNH Library Diversity and Inclusion Steering Committee and faculty from Classics, Humanities, and Italian and Women's Studies.
Sign up on the Event Dashboard to have your edits and entries included in the event.
- Thursday, October 11, 2018
- 9:00am - 1:00pm
- Dimond Library, Studio 235